Homeownership 101: Interior window cleaning
Having clean windows isn't just to see clearly (though that's a defnitely benefit); it's important for your windows' life-span and helps with energy efficiency and even has health benefits! More sunshine getting through your windows (especially in the winter).
Ready for the cleanest windows you've ever had?
First, you should clean your interior windows weekly. For your exterior windows, you should have them professionally cleaned 2-3 times per year.
What should you use to clean your interior windows?
You have a few options when it comes to window cleaner. Our professional house cleaners recommend using little product and a microfiber cloth. If you want to skip the store-bought window cleaners, white vinegar will do the job! Our pro-cleaners recommend one part white vinegar and one part water to clean your windows.
- No-drip cleaners use a thicker formula; these are the least likely to run down to the bottom of the window.
- Pre-moistened wipes are great for quick clean-up and for small windows.
- Another non-chemical solution is to mix warm water with a little cornstarch r dish soap.
Get your window ready!
Before you clean the glass, clean your window panes, frames, and the window's inside tracks.
If you want to deep clean your windows or haven't cleaned your interior windows in a while, you will want to get a scrub brush to wipe away the dirt and grime that can build up over time.
If you don't have a microfiber cloth, you can use newspaper for a streak-free clean.
Using a squeegee at the end will give you that professionally cleaned look.
A few more tips:
- Don't clean windows when the sun is shining directly on them. The heat from the sun will dry up your cleaning solution, and you'll get streaks.
- If you use a squeegee, start at the top of the window and work side-to-side. Working this way makes it much easier to push excess water toward the unwashed part of the window.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe off the squeegee in between strokes.
- Never mix cleaners. Stick with one cleaner.
Ready to let the sun in? Clean your interior windows and feel the sunshine!