Homeownership 101: How to clean your dishwasher (and the filter!)
Do you know that the funky smell that dishwashers sometimes get? That's a sign your dishwasher needs to be...washed. You also probably need to clean the dishwasher filter. Didn't know you had a dishwasher filter? You aren't alone!
Let's start with filters. This is best shown with a video so you can see exactly how it's done.
After you've cleaned out the filter, it's time to wash your dishwasher.
Wash down the walls of the dishwasher and the door with a mixture of baking soda and water. Wipe off the mixture and then place a small bowl of lemons cut into quarters and covered with water on the top rack, then turn for one cycle.
When it comes to dishwashers, make sure you are following basic dishwasher maintenance.
- Load plates so that they face the center
- Don't overload your dishwasher
- You don't need to wash your dishes before they go in the dishwasher; you do need to scrape off your plates/bowls
- Run your sink’s faucet for a bit before you start the dishwasher
- Don't block the sprayer arm
- Put delicate things on the top rack
Is your dishwasher still not working properly? We have appliance repair pros who can help!
Talk to an appliance repair pro on Zaarly.